6 April 2018


Ford Anglia

Drove to Auckland and back in one of these when I was 17. Me, my mate and his girlfriend. It wasn’t awkward. I’d have happily ditched the girlfriend and done a roadie with my mate, but she owned the car. She would have happily ditched me for a weekend away with the boyfriend. My mate? Well, I needed a ride and thought it best not to go there. We went to see a band play at Western Springs stadium. I say stadium, more a paddock with a flat-bed truck at one end, but then it was New Zealand 1977. Can’t tell you who the band was, if I did I’d have to kill you. Forty years on, it still makes me blush – but just quietly, they were quite good. Anyway, the girlfriend’s bright green Zed-Back was a trooper, didn’t miss a beat. Topped 60mph on the Mangaweka hill … with the clutch in. Different story coming home but it was all the same to me, sitting in the back seat, knees around my ears, supping quietly on a lukewarm can of beer.

On Etsy Scooter Modern here